The Black History Committee of Orange County Is gearing up for an early kick-off to the 2014 annual Black History Month observation starting January 28th. The public celebration continues throughout the month of February and culminates with the yearly festive Celebration Gala on March 1st.
entertaining and enlightening month-long events and festivities start with a Committee presentation to the Orange County Mayor and Board of Commissioners January 28th, 9:00 a.m. This will be held at the County Commission Chambers of the County Administration Building at 201 S. Rosalind Street, Orlando. The event will also include the acknowledgment and issuance of a Proclamation by the County Mayor declaring February as Black History Month in Orange County, Florida.
The Black History Month Celebration Events also include:
- February 1st – The Annual February month-long African American Art Exhibit at the County Administration Building.
- February 3rd – Black History Month presentation to the City Commission of Orlando at 2:00 p.m. and a Proclamation will be issued by The Orlando Mayor.
- February 7th – 6:00 p.m. the popular Networking Reception in observation of Black History Month will be held 6:00 p.m., the Varsity Club of the Orlando Citrus Bowl in partnership with City of Orlando District 5 Commissioner Daisy W. Lynum.
- February 11th – The Black History Month Celebration Luncheon held in partnership with Orange County Government on the Lawn of the County Administration Building, 11:00 a.m.to 2:00 p.m.
- February 18th – Storytelling Hour at 10:00 a.m. with Head Start Students who attend the Grand Avenue Head Start School in partnership with the Paul C. Perkins Bar Association.
- March 1st – The 12th. Annual Black History Month Celebration Gala at the Rosen Centre Hotel Ballroom, 9840 International Drive, Orlando, with Reception at 6:00 p.m. and Banquet Program at 7:00 p.m.