NEW YORK (AP) — President Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has been subpoenaed for records related to past sexual assault allegations against Trump — charges the president on Monday dismissed as “made-up stuff.”
Lawyers for Summer Zervos, a former contestant on “The Apprentice,” asked the campaign in March to preserve any records in its possession concerning Zervos or other women who accused Trump of misconduct. Zervos says Trump kissed and groped her against her will in 2007.
“All I can say is it’s totally fake news — just fake. It’s fake, it’s made-up stuff. And it’s disgraceful what happens,” he said. “That happens in the world of politics.”
It isn’t clear yet whether the case will advance far enough that the Trump campaign will be required to actually turn over those records.
Three legal scholars who, 20 years ago, submitted a brief to the Supreme Court arguing that President Bill Clinton wasn’t immune from a sexual harassment suit filed by Paula Jones, filed a similar brief in the Zervos case last month.
“No one in our nation is above the law, not even the president,” they wrote.
A decision on whether the lawsuit can proceed is not expected for some time.