The holiday shopping season is in full swing – with shoppers everywhere beginning to hunt for deals. As always, some of the best deals this Black Friday will be on tech items – with huge discounts on TVs, gaming, smart home and more.
But what tech products are Americans buying this Black Friday? PCMag conducted a survey to 1,500 US consumers to dig into technology trends across the country, and found the average consumer will spend $327.20 on technology products over Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Black Friday: Tech Shopping Trends
- 45% of respondents said they’ll be shopping online this holiday season, while 30% prefer shopping in-store.
- Audio won out for the top tech gifts nationwide this year, with 26% of consumers planning to buy speakers, headphones and more.
- Following audio, tablets and e-readers (22%), smartphones (20%) and gaming consoles and accessories (19%) mark other top tech gifts nationwide.
- As far as top retailers for tech purchases, 43% of respondents are shopping on Amazon for tech deals, followed by Walmart (19%) and Best Buy (19%). These are the top 3 big hitters for offering the best Black Friday tech deals of the season.
- Smart speakers will be a hot gift this year – and our survey found that 27% of consumers said Amazon Echo will be the top choice – beating out Bose (26%), Google Home (19%) and the Apple HomePod (10%)
- 58% of respondents said they check online reviews before making a tech product purchase, followed by word-of-mouth (13%) and social media (8%)
The majority of tech deals will be available online and in-store, so if you’re looking to save time and money, shop online for added perks like easy price comparisons and free shipping. Our survey covers more consumer habits and tech spending trends here.